By Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore
This spouse brings jointly a crew of prime figures in modern philosophy to supply an in-depth exposition and research of Quine’s broad impact throughout philosophy’s many subfields, highlighting the breadth of his paintings, and revealing his persisted importance today.
- Provides an in-depth account and research of W.V.O. Quine’s contribution to American Philosophy, and his place as one of many past due twentieth-century’s such a lot influential analytic philosophers
- Brings jointly newly-commissioned essays by way of prime figures inside of modern philosophy
- Covers Quine’s paintings throughout philosophy of good judgment, philosophy of language, ontology and metaphysics, epistemology, and more
- Explores his paintings in terms of the origins of analytic philosophy in the United States, and to the historical past of philosophy extra broadly
- Highlights the breadth of Quine’s paintings around the self-discipline, and demonstrates the continued impression of his paintings in the philosophical community
Read or Download A Companion to W. V. O. Quine PDF
Similar history & surveys books
Visible expertise now saturates daily life. Theories of the visible - now key to debates throughout cultural reviews, social concept, artwork heritage, literary reviews and philosophy - have interpreted this because the starting of a dystopian destiny, of cultural decline, social disempowerment and political passivity.
Philosophy’s maximum luminaries introduced right down to earth. Kierkegaard inside of Your grab deals quick, quick access to the existence and works of the mythical architect of existentialism. In fewer than a hundred pages, you’ll get the entire necessities in daily language. a brief biographical comic strip units the scene, through chapters illuminating Kierkegaard’s total philosophy and his most crucial writings.
This booklet explores the profound impact of Descartes' philosophy on Husserl's undertaking for phenomenology. Husserl usually pointed out Descartes as his "spiritual mentor" and the systematic doubt of the Meditations turned one of many important issues of departure for starting phenomenological investigations.
It is a consultant number of the paintings of A. J. Ayer, some of the most influential modern philosophers. It contains his Whidden lectures on freedom and morality, which have been provided at McMaster college in 1983, a formerly unpublished essay on J. L. Mackie's concept of Causal precedence, and 7 different essays which hide such themes as: references and identification, the causal conception of belief, the prisoner's paradox, self-evidence and simple task, and the historical past of the Vienna Circle.
- Kant and the Limits of Autonomy
- Foucault, Douglass, Fanon, and Scotus in Dialogue: On Social Construction and Freedom
- Ökonomisch-Philosophische Manuskripte aus dem Jahre 1844
- Lectures on Philosophical Theology
- British Empiricism and American Pragmatism: New Directions and Neglected Arguments
- Philosophy: Key Texts
Extra resources for A Companion to W. V. O. Quine
Philosophical Perspectives 2, 381–405. Kitcher, Philip (1992). The Naturalists Return. Philosophical Review 101(1), 53–114. Kornblith, Hilary (1993). Epistemic Normativity. Synthese 94(3), 357–376. S. (1963). The Function of Dogma in Scientific Research. C. ). Scientific Change (347–369). New York and London: Basic Books and Heinemann. Laudan, Larry (1990). Aim-less Epistemology? Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 21(2), 315–322. Leite, Adam (2007). Epistemic Instrumentalism and Reasons for Belief: A Reply to Tom Kelly’s ‘Epistemic Rationality as Instrumental Rationality: A Critique’.
V. Quine (663–665). The Library of the Living Philosophers, Vol. XVIII. LaSalle, IL: Open Court. V. (1990). The Pursuit of Truth, 1st edn. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. V. (1995). Naturalism: Or, Living within One’s Means. Dialectica 49(2–4), 251–263. 36 quine and epistemology Reichenbach, Hans (1924). Axiomatization of the Theory of Relativity. Berkeley: University of California Press. Reichenbach, Hans (1938). Experience and Prediction: An Analysis of the Structure and Foundations of Knowledge.
Frege, Gottlob (1884 ). The Foundations of Arithmetic. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press. Giere, Ronald N. (1989). Scientific Rationality as Instrumental Rationality. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 20(3), 377–384. Goodman, Nelson (1983). Fact, Fiction, and Forecast. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. R. (1965). Newton’s First Law: A Philosopher’s Door into Natural Philosophy. In R. ). Beyond the Edge of Certainty (6–28). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
A Companion to W. V. O. Quine by Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore